Traditional Metal Braces in Laguna Hills, CA
A Tried and True Way to Straighten Your Smile
Are you searching for a reliable and trusted orthodontic solution to achieve a straighter smile? Look no further than traditional metal braces in Laguna Hills, CA, with the expertise of Dr. Leif Löberg. With his years of experience and commitment to providing exceptional orthodontic care, Dr. Löberg and his team are dedicated to helping you achieve the smile of your dreams.
What Are Metal Braces?
Traditional metal braces use stainless steel brackets and wires to gradually align and straighten teeth. With advancements in orthodontics, the design and materials in metal braces have improved, making them more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.
Benefits of Metal Braces
Some benefits of metal braces include the following:
- Effective Treatment: Traditional metal braces are highly effective at correcting various orthodontic problems, from minor misalignments to complex bite issues. They provide consistent pressure on the teeth, gradually moving them into their desired positions.
- Affordability: Compared to other orthodontic treatment options, such as clear aligners or ceramic braces, traditional metal braces are generally more affordable. Traditional metal braces are an excellent choice if you're looking for a cost-effective solution without compromising quality.
- Durability: Traditional metal braces are known for their durability. The stainless steel brackets and wires can withstand the daily wear and tear of normal chewing and speaking. This means you won't have to worry about frequent replacements or repairs.
- Treats Complex Cases: While other orthodontic treatments may have limitations in treating severe orthodontic issues, traditional metal braces can address even the most complex cases. Whether you have overcrowded teeth, significant gaps, or a misaligned bite, Dr. Leif Löberg can customize a treatment plan to suit your needs.
What Can Metal Braces Correct?
Metal braces are a versatile orthodontic treatment option that can effectively correct several dental issues. Some of the common orthodontic problems that metal braces address include:
- Crooked Teeth: Metal braces can gradually shift misaligned or crooked teeth into proper alignment, improving the appearance and functionality of the smile.
- Crowded Teeth: When teeth are overcrowded, metal braces can create space by gently moving teeth into their correct positions. This can enhance their overall alignment and make oral hygiene maintenance easier.
- Gaps Between Teeth: Metal braces can close gaps between teeth by applying controlled pressure to gradually move the teeth closer together.
- Overbite: An overbite occurs when the upper front teeth excessively overlap the lower front teeth. Metal braces can correct this alignment issue by gradually bringing the upper teeth back and aligning them properly with the lower teeth.
- Underbite: In an underbite, the lower teeth protrude beyond the upper teeth. Metal braces, along with other orthodontic techniques, can help shift the lower teeth back and align them with the upper teeth for a balanced bite.
- Crossbite: A crossbite is when some upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth when biting down. Metal braces can correct this issue by aligning the upper and lower teeth to achieve a proper bite.
How Do Metal Braces Work?
Consultation and Treatment Planning
During your initial consultation with Dr. Löberg, he will examine your teeth, jaw, and facial structure. X-rays, photographs, and impressions may be taken to create a customized treatment plan.
Once you and Dr. Löberg have established your treatment plan, he’ll bond metal brackets to the front surface of each tooth using a dental adhesive. These brackets act as anchors for the wires that will guide tooth movement.
An archwire is then threaded through the brackets. The archwire exerts a force on the teeth to move them into proper alignment. The archwire is held in place by elastic ligatures or small metal ties.
Adjustments and Progression
Throughout the treatment process, you will visit Dr. Löberg periodically for adjustments. During these appointments, he’ll replace the archwire or adjust its shape to continue guiding tooth movement. These adjustments are essential to ensure steady progress toward the desired results.
Elastics or Rubber Bands
In some cases, elastics or rubber bands may be attached to the brackets to correct bite issues or align the jaw properly. These elastics apply additional force to specific teeth or jaw positions, aiding in alignment.
Once the desired tooth alignment is achieved, the retention phase begins. This involves wearing a retainer to prevent teeth from returning to their original positions. Retainers can be removable or fixed, depending on individual needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
How painful are metal braces?
While it's normal to experience some discomfort or soreness when you first get metal braces or after adjustments, the pain is generally manageable. The process of placing the brackets and wires is not painful, but you may feel a slight pressure or tightness as your teeth shift. Over-the-counter pain relievers can help alleviate any discomfort.
How long do you have to wear metal braces?
How long a patient wears metal braces varies depending on the complexity of the orthodontic issues. On average, most individuals wear metal braces for 18 to 36 months. During this time, your dentist will regularly monitor your progress and make necessary adjustments to ensure optimal tooth movement.
What age is best for metal braces?
Metal braces can be suitable for individuals of all ages. While it’s common for teenagers to undergo orthodontic treatment with metal braces, adults can also benefit from this option. In some cases, early intervention during childhood or adolescence may be recommended to address bite and alignment issues.
How do you brush with braces?
Brushing your teeth with braces requires extra care and attention to maintain good oral hygiene. Here's a step-by-step guide:
- Start by rinsing your mouth with water to remove any loose food particles.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and apply a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and brush in small, circular motions around each bracket and wire.
- Pay extra attention to brushing along the gum line and the areas between the brackets and teeth.
- Brush the chewing surfaces and the back of your teeth as well.
- Rinse thoroughly with water, making sure to remove all the toothpaste.
- Use a floss threader or orthodontic floss to clean between the teeth and under the wires.
- Finish with a fluoride mouthwash to help strengthen your teeth.
Take the First Step Toward a Straighter, More Healthy Smile
Traditional metal braces have stood the test of time as a reliable and effective orthodontic treatment option. With Dr. Löberg's expertise and experience in Laguna Hills, CA, you can trust that your journey toward a straighter smile will be in capable hands.
Call our Laguna Hills, CA, office today at (949) 586-1930 to schedule a consultation. We also welcome patients from Laguna Niguel and Laguna Beach