Wisdom Teeth Removal in Laguna Hills, CA
Get Your Oral Health Back on Track with Gentle Extraction
Are you experiencing pain and discomfort in your mouth due to wisdom teeth? Wisdom teeth can cause many issues, including overcrowding and infections. Fortunately, Dr. Leif Löberg is one of the best dentists in Laguna Hills, CA, for wisdom tooth removal. Discover everything you need about wisdom tooth removal with Dr. Löberg in Laguna Hills, CA.
Signs You Need Wisdom Tooth Removal
Here are some signs that you may need to schedule an appointment with Dr. Löberg:
- Pain or discomfort in the back of your mouth
- Swelling or redness around your gums
- Difficulty opening your mouth
- Headaches or jaw pain
- Difficulty chewing or biting
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, seek treatment as soon as possible by calling (949) 586-1930 to schedule a wisdom tooth removal consultation.
The Wisdom Tooth Removal Process
Before Your Procedure
Before your wisdom tooth removal at our Laguna Hills dental office, there are a few things you should know. First, you’ll need to schedule a consultation with Dr. Löberg to determine if wisdom tooth removal is the best option for you. During the consultation, Dr. Löberg will examine your mouth and take digital scans to evaluate the position of your wisdom teeth.
During Your Procedure
On the day of your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will administer a local anesthetic to numb the area. Once the numbing has taken effect, Dr. Löberg will carefully remove the tooth or teeth. The procedure typically takes less than an hour, and you can return home shortly after.
After Your Procedure
After your wisdom tooth removal, follow the dentist’s instructions carefully. You may experience some pain and swelling for the first few days after the procedure, but this can typically be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers. You’ll also need to avoid certain foods and activities for a few days to allow your mouth to heal.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Aftercare
After having your wisdom teeth removed, it's crucial to follow Dr. Löberg’s aftercare instructions to promote healing and minimize the risk of complications. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Bite Down on a Gauze Pad: After the extraction, your dentist or oral surgeon will place a gauze pad over the extraction site. Bite gently on the gauze pad for 30 to 45 minutes to help stop any bleeding. If bleeding continues, replace the gauze pad with a new one and bite down for another 30 minutes.
- Take Pain Medication as Prescribed: Your dentist may prescribe pain medication to help manage any discomfort you experience after the procedure. Take the medication as directed, and don't exceed the recommended dose.
- Rest and Avoid Strenuous Activity: Avoid physical activity and rest as much as possible for the first few days after the extraction. Strenuous activity can increase blood flow to the extraction site and delay healing.
- Avoid Smoking and Using Straws: Smoking and using straws can create suction in your mouth, which can dislodge the blood clot and delay healing.
- Keep Your Mouth Clean: Brush your teeth gently and rinse your mouth with salt water several times a day to keep the extraction site clean and prevent infection. Don't rinse your mouth vigorously or use mouthwash for at least 24 hours after the extraction.
Frequently Asked Questions
How painful is wisdom tooth extraction?
Wisdom tooth extraction can be a painful experience, although the pain varies from person to person. Some people report mild discomfort, while others experience more intense pain. The pain is usually managed with painkillers, dental sedation, or a local anesthetic prescribed by your dentist or oral surgeon.
How long does it take to recover from a wisdom tooth extraction?
The recovery time from wisdom tooth extraction can also vary depending on several factors, such as the number of teeth removed, the difficulty of the extraction, and your overall health. It can take a few days to a week or more to fully recover.
What can I eat after wisdom tooth extraction?
After wisdom tooth extraction, it's best to stick to soft, easy-to-chew foods for the first few days. Some good options include soups, mashed potatoes, yogurt, smoothies, and scrambled eggs. Avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods, as well as hot and spicy foods that can irritate the extraction site.
When can I stop worrying about dry sockets?
The risk of dry sockets is highest during the first few days after the extraction, so it's essential to follow your dentist's or oral surgeon's aftercare instructions carefully. If you experience severe pain or other symptoms of a dry socket, contact your dentist or oral surgeon right away for treatment.
Discover How Wisdom Tooth Removal Can Benefit Your Health
If you’re experiencing pain or discomfort due to your wisdom teeth, the team at Löberg Dental Center can help. Wisdom tooth removal is a common and safe procedure that can alleviate the symptoms caused by these teeth. By following Dr. Löberg's instructions carefully, you can ensure a smooth and successful recovery.
Call our Laguna Hills office at (949) 586-1930 to schedule a consultation. We proudly serve patients in Laguna Beach and Laguna Niguel.