One out of every five people who wear braces today is at least 18 years old. The American Academy of Orthodontists further reports that the number of adult patients grew by 14 percent from 2010 to 2012.
The AAO indicates older patients are overcoming fears about the process, which include:
- Appearance – Adults may still associate teeth straightening with conspicuous metal braces.
- Time – Patients with busy lifestyles may be particularly concerned about the amount of time it will take to straighten teeth, and the number of office visits required during treatment.
- Cost – Perhaps adults recall when their parents couldn’t afford braces. They perceive the treatment as cost-prohibitive.
- Value – They may feel they should have worn braces as a child. They see themselves as “too old” to have braces. The benefit of braces on oral and holistic health at this “life stage” is not readily seen.
The AAO acknowledges how technologies such as Invisalign have addressed each of these concerns:
- Aligners are invisible – The durable, medical grade thermoplastic material used to make these aligners is clear, so they are not noticeable like traditional metal orthodontics.
- It’s a short-term process – Invisalign effectively straightens teeth within, on average, 22 months. The typical time between appointments is six weeks.
- Affordability – 56 percent of the patients with dental insurance had orthodontic benefits to help shoulder the costs. Flexible Spending Accounts and payment plans to spread the expense over several months reduce the cost. At Löberg Professional Dental Corporation, we accept CareCredit and most credit and debit cards.
- No time like the present – As life expectancies continue to climb and medical advances keep people healthier longer, individuals are working well into their “Golden Years.” Many surveys in recent years have equated an attractive smile with professional and social success. Furthermore, a healthy mouth is equated with a healthy body. Misaligned teeth are associated with gum disease, and even less obvious health conditions – such as gastrointestinal disorders caused when food isn’t chewed properly.
Realigning teeth with Invisalign near Laguna Hills is a safe, effective, and worry-free answer to a number of concerns about braces. Call (949) 586-1930 to schedule an appointment.